Peterson, Chris wrote:
> Nope, debugging is not enabled on either cluster-member instance.  Check
> this one out, now I am finding this in my err.log file:
>
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to create new native thread
>
> It looks like its hitting some type of native OS memory limit for
> creating threads?  I found this article about it:
> http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/3/11/NewNativeThread
>
> And I am setting the -Xss128k flag to make the threads allocate less
> memory as suggested below, and am testing on my dev server.

How many threads do you see in the taskmanager? Is that anywhere near
the mentioned limit?

> As a secondary question, is there any negative impact to shutting down
> the 'jrun admin' instance?

No.

> Right now I have each instance configured to
> allocate 1024M of ram at startup, and I have the admin, the cfusion, and
> instance1 and instance2 all allocating 1024 megs each.  The cfusion
> seems to just be the management instance that houses the cluster, is
> that one necessary for the cluster to run?

No.

You should shut down the JRun Admin and the CFusion instance. (If you
want to keep them running, put them back on their default memory
configuration so they use considerable less memory.) That should give
your server a lot of free memory to play with.

I have had good results with setting -Xmx1280m and -Xmx1024m. This will
make the instance grab 1024 MB at startup, but gives it room to increase
to 1280 MB when needed. That way you can still see memory pressure by an
increase in memory allocation, while you still get the big chunk at startup.

Jochem