Rick,

>I'm leaning toward a combination of JS for user-friendliness with
>the validation coming from ColdFusion programming.
>
>I get the best of both worlds that way.

It's not the best of both worlds. If you're doing all validation based on
AJAX operations, then you've introduced a huge layer of complexity and point
of failure to your code. Not to mention added additional HTTP requests that
are unneeded.

Only use AJAX validation for client-side errors for things that you can't do
w/out interaction with the server (such as validating if a username exists.)

There's tons of example code and libraries (such as qForms) that will allow
you to easily apply client-side validation rules to your code. It's not that
difficult to implement.

There's absolutely no reason to make an HTTP request to see if a field is
required, to see if a field looks like a valid e-mail address, to see if a
value is a number, etc. There's tons of stuff out there that you can
leverage. These are not difficult problems to solve.

-Dan