Judah,

I definitely see your point.  I guess I'm looking at this
from a "developer of may websites / apps", none of which
are as "mission-critical" as, say, an e-commerce app.

If I just worked on one site, say for a company that I worked for,
I could see taking the time and expense of creating multiple
versions of a site, etc.  But as an independent developer whose
clients almost always want things created as inexpensively as possible,
it's difficult to justify the time spent creating a "one-size fits all" site,
when I'm not getting compensation for that work.

For one of my sites, my stats tell me that 98.63% of users have
javascript enabled.  The other .37% aren't worth the extra work.  And if
they do have trouble and don't know what it is, then perhaps they'll
dig a little bit and get javascript enabled.  (If they're allowed to...)

Eventually, I may come to the point where I do code for both,
but right now I'm just starting to use JS for validation, so it's new to me.

I'll have to start with crawling, then walking, then running...

Rick