> First, I want to reiterate an AJAX solution is probably best. However,
> if AJAX is out of the question a secure has WILL work. Let me clarify
> that...
>
> 1. CFC generates a CAPTCHA (EX: ABC123)
> 2. CFC hashes the CAPTCHA (EX: A6B7D8991A)
> 3. CF sends the HTTP response with the hash and a JShash() method.
> 4. Upon submit (or whatever event desired) JSHash is called passing
> user_input_CAPTCHA.
> 5. JSHash returns a hash of user_input_CAPTCHA and it is compared to
> the CAPTCHA hash (EX: A6B7D8991A) has sent by the CFC.
> 6a. If they match, post the form to the server (user_input_CAPTCHA is
> sent to the server)
> 6b. If they don't match, tell the user to try again. (goto 4)
> 7. CF can hash form.user_input_CAPTCHA and verify it again.
>
> a. The unhashed CAPTCHA is never sent to the browser.
> b. The hashed CAPTCHA is never sent to the server.
> c. Considerable computing power could be user to dehash the hash so
> that it could be input into the form and there by breaking CAPTCHA.
> But if a spammer has that much time and expertise they are going to
> break your system anyway. For that matter the spammer should move to
> hacking if they have such a skill set.
>
> It is quite a bit to go through, but if AJAX is not an option a hash
> will work.
>
> -John
>
> >> A secure hash might be what the doctor ordered. CF could send
> >> a hashed version of the "answer" then you could run js code
> >> to hash the users input before the compare.
> >
> >I haven't read the whole thread, but if you send the hash to the
> browser,
> >anybody could just see the hash and ensure that gets sent again to
> the
> >server when appropriate.
> >
> >Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
> >http://www.figleaf.com/
> >
> >Fig Leaf Software provides the highest caliber vendor-authorized
> >instruction at our training centers in Washington DC, Atlanta,
> >Chicago, Baltimore, Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.
> >Visit http://training.figleaf.com/ for more information!
> >
> >This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.
net

John,
I think that Ajax is the way to go (I can use it for many more things than just
this one item), however, I Know nothing about Ajax (up until two days ago), but
I did buy my first Ajax book two days ago (Ajax Your Visual Blueprint for
creating rich Internet applications) and I am learning. I have been curious
about Ajax for a while, and I now have a good excuse to jump into it. I also
received my copy of JavaScript Bible 6e a few days ago and between the two
books I am getting a good understanding of how Ajax works and how to implement
a solution, I should have a solution to my problem soon. I will provide the
solution I come up with when I implement it. Thank you for your help.