There is definitely more overhead on both ends, and with the speed of
connections increasing, compression is becoming less about performance
and more about saving your bandwidth usage allotment.  Compression is
not a huge resource draw, so probably worth enabling in most
scenarios, even though the end user experience won't be drastically
different (unless you're serving a lot of huge text files).  If server
resources are an issue, it's trivial to do the compression on
proxy/gateway servers instead of your web/app servers (and you can buy
hardware just for this purpose).

cheers,
barneyb