> My suggestion? Don't bother with design books as they're generally a small
> portion based on a single (or a few) design styles. I have a few that were
> good for about 5 minutes and than out of date.

I totally agree with Kevin on this, Bruce.  Browse a few sites (found in
http://www.go2web20.net) , then just emulate the sites that just appeals to
you or your clients eye.  Frontend design is like trendy clothes, they could
look fashionable one day, and out of style the next. Chances are design
books go out of date by the time they hit press.  But if you still like a
book, I've learned a few conceptual tricks from Jacob Nielsen's Designing
for Web Usability.

I also recommend checking out the 37signals' Signal vs Noise every now and
again.
http://www.37signals.com/svn

HTH, Bruce.

Michael