Andrew,

Basically, what we have here is a base misunderstanding of what I'm
trying to accomplish.  If I were to send something I want to be
encrypted to someone else via a web service across an open channel, I
would breach security.  I need to encrypt the information on my
application before sending it to another application.

Your argument is basically that if Outlook Express can encrypt the
information why do I want to encrypt something in Outlook as well,
instead I should just send the file to a different user who has Outlook
Express and have them perform the encryption and e-mail it back to me.

Unfortunately there are problems with the logic that I should have the
other java app do it.

1.  I've breached security by sending data that should be secure and
encrypted to someone in an unsecured manner.

2.  Now that it has been encrypted and I have an application that cannot
handle encrypted information I can no longer access the data I requested
encryption for.

The point of encrypting the data is that my application and the
recipient application will both be able to access the data, but any
third parties that try will have to work really hard to break the
encryption.

Any solution that involves sending clear text versions of the encrypted
data to another application, server, site or network defeats the point
of encryption.  I hope this helps clarify the goal of my activities.

Happily, I believe I'm getting closer to a solution on creating the
shared SALT information that was provided by the Java developer.
Unfortunately, the ways I'm trying right now are limited because
apparently ColdFusion cannot/will not handle the 64 bit number that
would be generated by the 8 byte array specified in my example.

Christine Davis
ColdFusion Lead
Nations Technical Services
Prairie Village, KS