From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:32 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Lack of CF understanding: Info Week

Here's the letter I wrote....

----------------

Mr. Babcock,

Your recent article "Restore Backbone To Brittle Sites" seems to imply
that Coldfusion only runs on Windows, IIS, and SQL Server:

"TripHomes originally was built using ColdFusion, a Web site
development tool that runs on Windows and depends on Microsoft's
Internet Information Server Web server and SQL Server database."

Of course, Coldfusion does not RELY on any of those things.  At most,
it typically relies on JRun, but will work with a variety of J2EE
servers.  It runs quite nicely on other platforms (Solaris and Linux,
among others), and even on Windows supports the use of OTHER web
servers, like Apache.

I suspect, but nobody will ever know, that the site would have been
just fine on Coldfusion, but as often happens with sites that grow
over time, "Best practices" fall apart.

It's easy to "rebuild a site" in any language and make it perform
better than a site that was built over time.  Heck, you could take a
web site build in .NET over the last  few years, and rebuild it today
and make it better.

Of course, I'm a coldfusion developer, so I take issue with the
implications your article makes, that coldfusion is unreliable (it's
not), and that it relies on Windows and IIS (it does not)

Thanks for your time.

Rick Root