>Um, don't you use Oracle? The syntax you're trying to use is sql server syntax.
>
>Here's some info on Oracle syntax for bind variables:

Yes, I do, thank you for remembering.  I had searched with SQL as the main part
of the title and should've added Oracle.

I looked over that page and it certainly stresses the importance of bind
variables for performance.
Unfortunately, it left me feeling a little duh and all I have left are
questions.

- I suspect I should use the PL/SQL example.  Is that right?
- In the PL/SQL example, it does all this as part of a procedure.  Does it need
to be that way?
- So I do(?):

declare
   x varchar(10)
begin
   my SELECT stuff
end;

I have not been able to find a combination that works without error and all I
wanna do is preset a variable and ues it.