The best approach is to use the know trick to expire the cookies when the
browser closes.

But this still holds that info in the session for the length of time that
the session lives for, so the best thing to do is to ignore session id's and
then allow the application to set a GUID for the user in session for look
ups by the application. And to also look at timing out sessions for a period
of 10-15 mins as well of no activity by code.

There are many ways to achieve this, but the best way to achieve this is to
flowchart your process and you can see potential problems that might not be
though off.