The code below works

<cfformgroup type="horizontal">

            <cfformitem type="text" width="120">Aquamid</cfformitem>

            <cfif qgetinfo.aquamid eq 1>

                     <cfinput type="Checkbox" name="Aquamid" checked>

         <cfelse>

                     <cfinput type="Checkbox" name="Aquamid">

         </cfif>

      </cfformgroup>

If you change the checked to checked="checked"  it throws the error
displayed below.

Attribute validation error for tag CFINPUT.

The value of the attribute CHECKED is invalid. The value cannot be converted
to a boolean because it is not a simple value.Simple values are booleans,
numbers, strings, and date-time values.