We had this problem last year. We spoke to a whole bunch of CF Gurus and even
to the people at Macromedia (in particular a very unhelpful, derogatory
gentleman named Serge who denied that we were having the problem even after I
proved it to him).

Either way, general suggestions were to ensure that you have proper locking
around any code that sets Session variables.

However, none of that was our problem. Turned out, all we needed was a reboot.
Something had gotten corrupted in the memory and as soon as we rebooted (6
weeks after the problem began) the problem disappeared never to return.

Hope this helps.