> I'm creating a voting application for a photo contest and the non-technical
> person running the show doesn't want voters to have to verify their email
> address
> before their vote is counted.  Although this method isn't fool proof, it does
> create
> a level of effort to break the one vote rule.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to ensure that voters can only vote once
> and not rely on cookies being enabled, deleted etc.

You could store the IP, and only allow one vote from a particular IP,
but that would limit people using NAT or behind a proxy to only one
person voting.  A cookie would be better, but not foolproof would just
limit them to one vote per machine (or browser on the machine, until
they clear their cookies).  You could just allow all, but store the
IP, and then do some post-processing on the data...
100 votes for photo 1 from the same IP within some time limit = only
one of the votes counts
20 votes for various photos from the same IP within some time limit =
allow all votes

But I would tell your client that without using something like the
email address, you really can't even get close to guaranteeing the
numbers.  Even with email, I would still store the IP, and do some
checking to make sure that someone is not trying to spam the voting by
using multiple email addresses.