From: Billy Cox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 May 2007 14:41
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: MySQL dead too? THE SKY IS FALLING -- oh wait, just a *another*
set of lame articles

A little perspective...

Journalists make their money by writing about topics that people will read.
Two topics are especially reliable eyeball magnets for manager-types whose
business philosophy reflects whatever magazine article they read last week.

1. What is the next 'big thing'?

2. What formerly big thing is on it's way out?

Most decision-makers have a healthy respect for the amount of money (sunk
cost) that they have in a particular technology. Businesses that drop a
technology just because a magazine article told them to will not be in
business for very long.

Perhaps 'everybody else' is converting everything to .NET or Java, but
real-world businesses are still investing in their AS400, Powerbuilder, and
Visual FoxPro applications. ColdFusion by comparison is far better off than
those technologies.

My advice: Do your best work and don't be a sucker for the games that
journalists play.