Why wouldn't you be able to run it side by side?  I'm guessing in Apache, I
can just point apache to the proper connector and the proper ip and port for
the new CF... I'm assuming the connector still works the same way?

Wouldn't you be able to do something similar in IIS?  Map only certain
virtual sites to CF8?

Plus there's always VMWare if your server is recent enough.

Russ