Actually it wasn't IIS/Apache running together I was really asking about but
I have just realised it is BD.Net I am getting (it was a prize!!) so IIS
will be needed obviously. My personal preference has always been to have CF
running on apache but for simplicities sake I may just go the IIS route
alone.

Or maybe this is the time to start looking at using virtual machines - I
just want the easiest way to test code under the 3 engines - maybe even
throwing railo into the mix as well.

I did find this blog entry about running CF 7.02 and 8 on the same apache
server:

http://rickosborne.org/blog/index.php/2007/05/30/run-cf7-and-cf8-side-by-side-with-the-same-apache-server/