Jake,

I would suggest using javascript to encrypt the pw string if you HAVE to
pass it through the URL string (I am assuming here that it has been inputted
in a text field and it can't be passed any other way).  If you are only
going to store the variable and don't need to know what the string is then I
suggest one-way hashing with the MD5 algorithm. If you need to know the
password string, then I suggest that you find some way of not passing it
into the URL.  Passing it through the HTTP header as a form variable would
be more secure at the very least.

Moral of story: do your best never to pass passwords through the URL string.

Paul

PS You can ensure that the user is using Javascript by writing a Javascript
redirect to itself with an added URL string of js=yes and a timestamp of
some sort so that CF can stop it if the user tries to hack into the page at
a later time.  If you want to know what I mean, email me off list.