I'm trying to replace a rigidly built db of data that includes divisions, which
contains departments, which contains programs.

I need my users to have the ability to build their own tiers of data. Ex. Some
users might not even HAVE divisions. They might call it something entirely
different, so this system should allow for that kind of flexibility.

What I've come up with is adding 5 tables of data.

tblTier1
---------
tier1code  PK
tier1title
more fields
tier2code

tblTier2
---------
tier2code  PK
tier2title
more fields
tier3code

tblTier3
---------
tier3code  PK
tier3title
more fields
tier4code

etc.. etc..

This would allow you to add a bottom tier of data. Then add a tier above
containing codes from the tier just underneath, and so on.

has anyone else tackled this? Are there better solutions?

Thanks,
Will