It's pretty simple, really.  This is a simplified version of how we
store our entities in contact manager which can be nested n levels deep.

dbo.enity
---------
entity_id PK
entity_name
entity_type_id FK (entity_type.entity_type_id)
entity_id_parent FK (entity.entity_id)

dbo.entity_type
---------------
entity_type_id PK
entity_type_name

The entity_type table stores all the possible types (company,
department, employee) and we store the corresponding id in the entity
table for normalization.  If you were view your data as a hierarchy,
each node would be represented by a record in the entity table where
each record's entity_id_parent value was the entity_id of it's parent
record.

Does that make sense?  I'm not entirely sure what you are storing, but
it sounds like you want to nest records in a hierarchy and have large
amount of flexibility without having to have a table for each level.

~Brad