On 6/5/07, Kevin Aebig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So patch the problem and deal with it later?

I didn't say it was ideal, but in a business situation when you have
numerous, large legacy apps, and your choice is to spend a small amount of
effort to do some integration,  vs. multiple thousands of man hours
recreating the wheel simply so everyone is using the same environment,
idealism often takes a back seat.

And who's best practices do you
> follow?

Best practices aren't language-specific. You can institute practices that
apply to everyone.

And which company do you call when it breaks?

Depends on what breaks. Since this is in-house developed software, it would
be whomever wrote it who, one would presume, wouldn't be hard to find.

Every example, though valid, is still an instance of the "easy" way instead
> of the "right" way... and that's fine if you're happy with that

If "easy" is (literally) millions of dollars in developer time cheaper than
"right", "easy" quickly becomes "right".

But I'm not...

It's nice that you have that luxury. Not everyone does.