I was also receiving the very cryptic 500 NULL error; in circumstances very
similar to the above. I ended up tracking this down to
java.lang.String.URLDecode(), which throws a java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
if a '%' character is not followed by a valid 2-digit hexadecimal number.  So,
for instance, if you're passing urlEncoded value of %F1 you're fine, but if you
pass %G1 you get the 500 NULL error.

What was happening on our end, was that there was a page using the JavaScript
method escape().  The escape method fails to handle non-ASCII characters
correctly.  So if you're passing Unicode, or other fun characters via a form
POST, you'll end up with weird strings like %G1.  The fix was to use an
alternative encoding method encodeURI().

HTH