We run over 300 sites on a single Sun SPARC and we are still coping
with the load after some JVM tuning (it runs much better than some
hosts I've been with, for example). Having said that, we are expanding
this to plan for growth and provide high availability.

--
mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/