Actually, Rick, the majority of our code base was written by Flash
designers who had to learn ColdFusion to extend and customize a poorly
written home-rolled framework that was originally written on top of CF
4.5. Only within the last two + years have true ColdFusion developers
written new applications within our system, updating an existing
template here and there when they could. It's 3,000 templates of largely
unscoped variables and equally poor architecture, that is only now
beginning to get turned around. Our systems actually stand as a true
testament as to how powerful ColdFusion is, and how much abuse it can
withstand. And, up until a few weeks ago, our development environment
has never mirrored our productions servers, and we are finally
implementing version control as of today. Such is the case of any poorly
staffed and busy development team where the suits define priorities,
change can come mighty slow in the wake of pursuing revenue.

Yes, 500 different sites, with different code bases from all levels of
developers, can very well cause a shared hosting server to come to a
screaching halt. But my point was that, with the new and/or upgraded
sandboxing and user level controls that have been added to ColdFusion 8,
these issues become *less* problematic than they have been in the past.
It will help if a company maintains a qualified, and diligent,
ColdFusion server administrator on staff.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com