From: Ariel Jakobovits [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: June 10, 2007 3:09 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: AJAX Libraries

Just like to throw in that unlike the other toolkits, jQuery is a unique and
expressive language to use for adding your own javascript functionality to
webpages with very little coding. It teaches you the DOM structure very well
and will hone your CSS/XPath skills. Discovering it was like writing my
first Lisp program, except that I ended up doing lots of things with my
javascript capabilities.

I think jQuery's strength lies in its ability to target and modify specific
DOM elements. Conversely, I think its weakness is that you give up on a lot
of its power when using other people's plugins. I believe there are lots of
plugins because it is easy for people to create their own functionality, not
so much because the community at large is asking for them. Dojo has
pre-built widgets you are encouraged to use, Ext even more, and a
developer's strength is based in his/her ability to use the existing
widgets. As a jQuery programmer, you want to be good at adding the
functionalities yourself on the fly as you decide to add them.