To answer one of your many questions.  You will need CF Enterprise. Once
you have obtained the appropriate license for each physical server (and
all their processors) you can add as many CF instances as you want.
Each of them belonging to one big cluster or several smaller clusters.
You name it-- there are no restrictions on the number or configuration
of your clusters.

There are several adobe technotes and blogs about setting up clusters.
I found most of them through people on this list and Google though I
don't remember there being any one definitive document that answered all
my questions.

~Brad

Also, what is the licencing requirement for this, I am aware I can use
the same copy of Windows Server in multiple virtual machines but will
each one require it's own CF licence or can they share a licence since
they run on the same processor(s)?

--
Jay