I'm working on a similar project.  SAVE YOUR MONEY!  You don't have to use
sitekiosk or kiosk apps.  You want to lock down your browser?  FINE!  you can
already lock down your browser AKA kiosk mode in mozilla firefox.  you can also
make internet explorer show nothing but whatever you want to show (no tools, no
menus no scrollbars).  it's as if you were running a full blown app.  you can
also disable the CTR-ALT-DEL keys easily.

I havent been messing with RPCs yet.  For now, the kiosk just checks with the
server every x minutes to see if there are any new updates that need to be
downloaded, any new files that need to be loaded, or if the system needs to be
restarted.  YES, all of this from an admin on the main server.  You know, have
flags in the database that tells X server to download X files or restart at X
time.

of course maybe RPC is better? =)

Lemme know what u think!

have any suggested starting points considering: