> Russ wrote:
> > Maybe someone should make a free/open source CF server.  That would
> probably
> > get more people using it.  Of course once you've invested this much time
> > into developing a product like that, it's hard not to start charging for
> it.
> > (Didn't CF5 and BlueDragon start out as free products?)
>
> There are free and cheap engines out there.
>
> Someone mentioned Smith already, there's also Railo's community edition
> (and their other editions are very reasonable too).

I haven't looked at these yet in depth, but are they compatible enough to be
useful?  I remember even BD having compatibility issues.

> BD has a free edition too - I don't recall CF5 ever being free though,
> unless it was some kind of upgrade promotion when Macromedia launched it
> post-Allaire?

BD has a free edition, but it's pretty much useless as are the rest of their
J2EE editions.  The free edition doesn't support SSL and is not for
commercial use, which makes it useless for most projects.  The J2EE version
is around the same price or more expensive then Adobe's and doesn't really
provide any extra features, while not supporting many of Adobe's features.

The only value I see in BD is if you want to run on the .NET platform.  It
probably also helps if you  need to use more then 2 GB of ram for your app
(Although I'm not sure how well .NET would run with that much memory being
used).

As far as free CF5, I'm talking about the product Macromedia bought to make
CF5 (or 6), which I believe was tagfusion, which was the first, I believe,
CF clone that was created in Java.

Russ