Thanks for all the tips (still checking iText) but apparently it IS easier
than I thought, Let me know if you see any gaping holes in this but I found
this:

http://www.school-for-champions.com/coldfusion/cftopdf.htm
http://www.school-for-champions.com/coldfusion/cftopdf2.cfm

Doing it this way actually displays the field names and the values in the
source of the file in plain text. So let's say I made a field called
firstname and gave it a value of ***firstname***

In the source code, I see:
/T(firstname)/V(***firstname***)

Couldn't I just
#replace(content, "***firstname***", form.firstname, "all")#

The downside is, of course, that this pdf is huge. The upside is that I
would only be entering the needed content and not fiddling with layout.

Can you guys think of any more pros and cons?

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com