I'm thinking of getting two copies of Enterprise, setting one up as
the production server, and the other as a failover/training/testing
server, with each of those in separate instances, and putting the
production and failover instances in a cluster.

*-*-*-*-

I would recommend keeping your testing/training environment separate
from production.  Your testing environment may require newly developed
code which has not been migrated to production.  You probably will want
a separate database as well for training and testing for similar
reasons.

=============================

If I put them in a
cluster, does that mean they are going to share the load 50/50, or can
I make one of them still take the brunt of the traffic unless there is
a failure?  Is there a better way to do it?

If you are talking about instances of CF in a JRUN cluster, they will
equally share the load.  JRUN's load balancing is based on Round Robin,
with the option to weight the servers if one has beefier hardware.
If a cluster goes down, JRUN will automatically start sending the
traffic to another instance and if session replication is enabled, the
users session will follow them.  There are endless setups really
depending on what you want.

~Brad