>  >>OK, I know everyone is already familiar with the age old argument
> stirred up once again by the <a
> href="http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.
> do?command=viewArticleBasic&amp;articleId=9020942">recent
> Computer World article</a>
>
> There have always been such articles about "extinct technologie", even
>
> in now extinct magazines, like Byte  ;-))

To be honest, what I was trying to discuss wasn't that article about CF being
on the dead/dying list; I think that discussion has been warn out. What I am
interested in is people's views on how web development, as a role, is likely to
have to adapt in the near and more distant future. Maybe I should have phrased
the question a little better, so apologies for that.

It is clear that our role as developers has already changed very dramatically
in the last few years... a web developer used to consist of HTML skills, an
idea of what a GIF was and maybe a bit of Perl and some basic SQL. Today the
role is so much broader and RIAs are now bringing thick-client style features
to web apps. CF is more OO than ever before and Open Source is beginning to
threaten Microsoft's strangle hold, particularly on the web.

In light of all these technologies and the fairly seismic shifts in the options
available via the web; what do you think we might find ourselves being employed
to do in the near and more distant future?