Randy,
In a nutshell, if the business maintains a location (office, store, branch
store, P.O. box for incorporation, etc.) in the same state as the customer,
tax should be applied and collected by the business. If not, it is the
responsibility of the customer to determine the amount of tax owed on the
transaction and pay that amount to the appropriate agency (the local tax
man).

Please understand that this is a super generalization and may not apply to
all states / situations. Also, consider that the statement above is made by
a guy who develops web sites and pays someone else to do his taxes. This is
the conclusion I came to after some research last year.

If you find out something different, please let us know.

USPS, FEDEX, and UPS all maintain web services to get shipping rates.
Whatever you choose to use, you will be required to create an account with
them in order to use thier online tools.

~Max