Think about it in terms of math. An instance of CF can only utilize 1G
of RAM because of the JVMs limitations. You have a dual quad proc system
with 8G of RAM. You leave 2G alone for the OS (in the case of Windows
2k3), and setup 3 instances of CF, utilizing 5G of your RAM altogether.
This leaves you a little wiggle room for other apps on the server (maybe
monitoring), allows you to utilize a systems resources that were
otherwise being wasted, and creates three separate instances of CF that
could be clustered to 'share the load' of an application. Or you could
just separate applications in this manner, for instance: running data
heavy front-end websites on one instance while maintaining manual
process intensive site administrator on another and placing scheduled
process intensive (report generation, batch image processing, etc.) on
another.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com