As Bobby said - nobody will argue that Vista (or ANY OS ON THE PLANET) is
without problems.

I will go further and say that the built-in zip extract tool is really poor.
It's there to provide the tool - not to provide it well (and in fact it's not
changed from XP - you can even compare the DLLs).  Although I would almost
guarantee that if you diagnose the problem you'll see that it's not the
unzipper but something else: probably a real-time virus or  spyware checker -
run task manager while you unzip and see what process is taking up the cycles.

If you're really interested in what's going on try examining the logs kept by
the reliability monitor (type "reliability" into the Start Menu search and hit
enter).  Select "Reliability Monitor".

What does it say?  What's causing you grief?

Jim Davis