Thanks Brian, I didn't realize there was a variables.instance structure
=)

Here is the lowdown I got from everyone's comments:

If I was working either with a team, using coldspring, or working on a
large project or public facing components, I would probably generate
individual getters / setters for each internal value I would want to
work with.  As many have mentioned, this makes the component self
documenting and adds type checking.

The project I am working on now simply requires that I be able to use
this for several different sub-companies down the road, and the only one
that will touch this code (at least in the foreseeable future) is me.  I
have an init method that accepts a structure to setup all datasources
and other per-company settings, so I think my generic getter / setter
should work fine in this instance.

Thanks to everyone for their reply's, I always learn something new. =)

Chris Peterson
Gainey IT
Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion Developer