On 7/17/07, John Paul Ashenfelter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Or if it's *really* worth reporting, get it from a reliable source.
> For example, maybe from the webserver log, which is a lot less
> ambigious than a session/application/etc-based counter. Let's not even
> get into dealing with clusters :)

There are a lot of cases where you want to track things that aren't
found in the web server logs, and you might want to track them in real
time.

Ray wrote some code to determine how many active sessions are on a
page that I use in CFMBB to determine how many users are "currently"
browsing the forums.  Of course, I consider this to be "important"
information... and obviously he did too, so there are locks around the
code.

Still, I don't get the whole concept of "If it's not that important,
don't lock it"... because.. if it's not that important, and you know
the numbers might be inaccurate, why do it at all?

Rick