Recourse against what?

Once a company gets to the point of intentionally breaking their product
to make it less useful to their customers, it's a very bad sign.  I have
no idea why either party would still want to be in  such a business
relationship unless one is holding the other's data hostage, which is
what it sounds like is happening.

There may be no legal recourse, but that doesn't make it right.

-Cameron

Randy Johnson wrote:
> I am not sure I agree with your statement. If I choose to make my
> printer friendly page a graphic instead of a standard html table as long
> as it still prints fine you would have no recourse. About the only thing
> you could do is take your business elsewhere. Right?
>
> -Randy
>
> Cameron Childress wrote:
>
>> Does this application contain financial data for the company?  Are they
>> attempting to get access to their own financial information in order to
>> put it into QB and run their business?  Your employer wants to prevent
>> them from doing this?  This raises a ton of ethical and moral
>> questions.  I know you are not the one making the call here, but
>> seriously, if a company I was doing business with was ACTIVELY
>> preventing me from gaining access to my own financial data things could
>> escalate very quickly.
>>
>> Having said that - if this company is actually doing something that
>> violates a legal agreement you have with them somehow, simply shutting
>> off access to the site should fix the problem.  If this is data going
>> into QB, they much be authenticating to get to it (unless the financial
>> data is out in the open for all to see).  Just shut them off and resolve it.
>>
>> -Cameron
>>
>> Jason Liebgott wrote:
>>

>>> Just started working on a legacy application built in CF5. It appears that
>>> one of the users is screen scraping printer friendly HTML output and moving
>>> the data into quick books in order to avoid paying for the export upgrade.
>>>
>>> Ideas I've had to muck up the data to stop the scraper:
>>> 1. random white chars that wouldn't be visible to the user in Printer
>>> Friendly, but would alter the values enough to make it a pain in quick
>>> books. Might have issues w/ printing.
>>> 2. random # of empty <TD> cells