Thanks Jochem;

That is pretty heady scanning for somebody who has been seriously
involved with Apache for the first time for about 1 week now, but I will
try my best to process the information.  One question to which you may
be able to provide a quick answer.

Will appropriately configuring Apache with this module allow one to grab
the user name behind the scenes without having to login to the
application?  Or does it just allow one to use active directory as the
authorization source for such a login request?  The latter is nice,
users can use their network logins for the application without
maintaining separate security data.  But the former is really what I'm
looking for, I have liked to use the "Windows Integrated Security"
functionality of IIS to get the user name from the client to provide
personalization of the application.  I do not want to burden the user
with a log in dialog just to say "Good Morning Jochem, this application
is now configured in your prefer 'Tulip' color scheme;" for a silly
example.  Of course this in on an intranet where this kind of snooping
is usually workable.

Thanks
Ian