I tend to just have a separate interface through their main menu that will
let them add/edit/delete/update companies.  I have on some projects had a
button/link next to the <select> that when they clicked on would pop up with
the form to add a company and once submitted it would go into the database
and plug the value via JS into that <select>.  I tend to lean towards making
it harder than easier to add things like this though.  Seems like more of
the users will add things not needed when they can easily add them vs
scrolling through the options and picking the current correct one.  This is
why on our old real estate database we have things like: HOUSTON,
HOUSTON-OWNED, HOUSTON-LEASED, HOOUSTON, and so on.  Makes it real fun to
run a report to grab all Houston properties.