You should be able to adapt my "Popup Definitions" example of my
PanelManager here:

http://www.depressedpress.com/Content/Development/JavaScript/Extensions/DP_P
anelManager/Index.cfm

(Look to the bottom of the page for the example.)

This example uses the content of the moused-over element to determine what
to populate the pop-up with.  The function LoadDefinitions() determines the
content of the current popup - just change it to be an image instead of
plain text.

Right now this just places the popup near the mouse (in the El_mouseover()
function).  You may want to make it more intelligent but first checking the
width of the page (using the provided methods of the PanelManager) and
shifting it left if you're at the edge.

I hope this will get you started.  If you want to do this dynamically (with
AJAX calls to the server) the PanelManager panels have a load() method that
works very well with my HTTPRequestPooler (also on the site).  Let me know
if anything seems confusing and I'd be happy to work through it.

To search for more options I would try keywords like "DHTML popup".

Jim Davis