Hi Dave,

Of course you are right.  If you have excellent methodologies,
architectures, and standards in place already, then maybe you have no use
for FuseBox.  FuseBox, as you point out, is neither a complete methodology,
nor a complete architecture, nor a complete standard.  It is just a bunch of
techniques that has been hammered out by a large community of CF developers,
who want more people to keep adding their help and suggestions.  It will
obviously offer most benefit to people whose code is all over the place, and
basically have no idea, but I can assure you that it helps out CF_GODs like
me too ;-)

FuseBox includes:
1: Suggestions about methodology
2: Suggestions about CF architecture (not usually about data design, etc)
3: Suggestions about roughly-optimal code 'factoring' (it's definitely NOT
about breaking code into meaningless 'atomic' pieces)
4: Suggestions about making mundane coding decisions (like file naming)
basically automatic,
5: Suggestions for engaging your expertise with the INTERESTING parts of the
problem
6: etc

By virtue of its large user community, its open source ethos, and the kind
of debate we are now engaged in, FuseBox gets better and better, and has now
reached a substantial level of maturity.

Nobody is suggesting that FuseBox should or could replace any organization's
existing Software Engineering methodologies.  But hey, it doesn't cost a
single cent, so you can happily take on board 10% of the suggestions and
throw out the rest, with no loss to anyone.  I haven't yet seen a high-level
methodology that's incompatible with FuseBox.

The basic point is that FuseBox works.  Many, many developers can testify to
that.  It is not, however, perfect, nor does anyone claim that it is.  It's
just a whole bunch of people working together, trying to do things in
roughly the same way, resulting in a consistency of code that benefits
EVERYONE, and agreeing to help improve the way we are all doing things.

So no matter what proportion of the FuseBox techniques you decide to use, it
helps you and us and all CF developers, if you come along WITH us, and help
fix up the things you don't like.  Believe me, there is plenty of heated
debate going on all the time over on the FuseBox list.

See you there, neh?

Lee (Bjork) Borkman
http://bjork.net ColdFusion Tags by Bjork

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee.  It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any
mistaken transmission to you.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please
immediately delete it from your system and notify the sender.  You must not
disclose, copy or use any part of this e-mail if you are not the intended
recipient.  The RTA is not responsible for any unauthorised alterations to
this e-mail or attachment to it.