Bobby Hartsfield wrote:
> My brother's name is Justin William Eugene Mckinney III. That
> might throw you for a loop. It will really throw you for a
> loop when it is "Justin William Eugene Mckinney III PHD"
> Or
> "Dr. Justin William Eugene Mckinney III"

Hi Bobby

Yep, I considered this type of thing and you are right, so for better or
worse on the search box view I am advising them to enter first and last
names only. And before the search is executed I am also doing:

<cfset indexOfOccurrence = REFind("[a-z]+ ", searchstring) />

And if it is greater than 1 I shoot them back with an error message
telling them they entered too many names. I'm also checking for numbers
and other characters.

> Simply taking listfirst() and listlast() delimited by a space
> won't always give you the result you want... but when it IS a
> good idea... you just do...
>
> <cfset firstname = listfirst(name, " ") /> <cfset lastname =
> listlast(name, " ") />

This is what I'm going with since it is simple and effective enough for
my requirements. Thanks!

then Jide Aliu wrote
> From what you're saying, you probably might not need Regex.
> How about GetToken?
>
> <cfset SearchField = "Joe Bloggs">
>
> <cfset var1 = GetToken(trim(SearchField), 1, " ")> <cfset
> var2 = GetToken(trim(SearchField), 2, " ")>
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Jide, no I don't think you are, but when I try this it returns a full
set of results in the database. It could be the way my search query
logic is ordered, since when I output var1 and var2, they appear to be
correct. However, I had some success with listfind and also with Bobby's
suggestion above (which is what I'm using), so I didn't delve into it
too much.

I'm still getting some delay on the HOF mail delivery, so thanks to all
who replied.

Mark

content by ISPNZ's automated virus detection system,
and is believed to be clean.