> While the website looks modern the most recent download is
> 1999 and the last news item in 2001 talks about the new site
> openwddx.org opening.
> So ... is this an "old" technology that is begin replaced by
> a more mature XML environment?

Yes, it's quite old - it dates from the CF 4 timeframe. I wouldn't say it's
being replaced by a "more mature XML environment", though - XML is XML - but
rather that programmers are becoming more familiar with working with XML
directly, and CF now provides the functionality to do so. The purpose of
WDDX is simply to describe common datatypes within XML. Most use of WDDX has
always been within CF programs, as well, rather than between CF programs and
other programs. The generic problem of data exchange and interoperability
has been solved (repeatedly) via SOAP, XML-RPC, and REST.

All that said, if I have a complex datatype (query, structure, anything that
contains one of these such as an array of structures) and I want to quickly
convert it to a string and back again, WDDX is ideal and easy to use.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net