Let me address this comment first:

"
I'd like to go with CFINVOKE, which seems simpler to me. However, how
do I get from the contents of this WSDL file to what tags are needed
in my CFINOVKE call?  With how ubiquitous web services has become, the
lack of documentation for CF is amazing to me."

CFINVOKE is documented. It is documented in the reference. In the dev
guide there is a whole chapter on using web services. Have you
bothered to read these?

As for the particular web services... Adobe can't tell you how to use
every web service that exists. They can only tell you how to work with
web services. Each web service has it's own API and you are
responsible for reading the documentation for that. Did you read the
Google docs? If they are lacking, then you need to ask Google.

>From my own personal experience, I've found working with Google
services to be a bit difficult. Not from the CF side - but from the
Google side. So if you are having trouble, maybe you should look to
Google before you blame CF.

Now, with that aside, lets look at your first question:

"I'd like to go with CFINVOKE, which seems simpler to me. However, how
do I get from the contents of this WSDL file to what tags are needed
in my CFINOVKE call?"

This is where Google comes in. Google's docs will tell you what method
to use, and what attributes are required. So begin there.