Raymond Camden wrote:
> I know I tried it as well, definitely on Trial, and I get the same
> problem. Both on OSX and Windows.
>

> On 8/3/07, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Hey folks, I was trying to Encrypt a string on CF8
>>> (Enterprise trial), but I am getting an error:
>>>
>>> The HMAC-SHA1 algorithm is not supported by the Security
>>> Provider you have chosen.
>>>
>>> Code looks like:
>>>
>>> #Encrypt(targetString, key, 'HMAC-SHA1')#
>>>
>>> I've tried about every variation I can find based on the list

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/functions_e-g_01.html#1104201

Probably just a doc problem. Perhaps these HMAC algorithms weren't
intended to be used in CF8.

Many of the algorithms listed for Encrypt() are actually Hash()
algorithms.  For example:  MD2, MD5, RIPEMD160, SHA1, SHA224, SHA256,
SHA384, SHA512.  These all work fine with the Hash() function, not with
Encrypt().

HMACs are one-way functions, like hashes; but they use a secret key like
block-encryption algorithms.  The results of HMAC algorithms are short
fixed-length values (like hashes) so they can not be decrypted back to
the original text.

HMACs can't work with the CFML Hash() function because there is no
provision to pass the secret key.

Curiously, you can apparently generate HMAC keys with
GenerateSecretKey(). For example:  GenerateSecretKey("HMAC", 128) or
GenerateSecretKey("HMACSHA224", 64)

The Public-key-cryptography algorithms: RSA, DSA, and Diffie-Hellman,
don't seem to work with Encrypt() either.  Since they need a matching
pair of keys (public & private) it is likely that a new CF function
would be needed to generate the keys.  Something like
GenerateKeyPair(algorithm, size).

I noticed that two new undocumented Password-based-encryption algorithms
(PBEs) are provided with the Enterprise (Trial) version:
PBEWithSHA1AndDES and PBEWithSHA1AndRC2.

-tom-