in general, no, I would say it's not a great idea, but sometimes requirements
dictate that it has to be done. I've seen directories replicated out to a DMZ
server to insulate things a bit, but I honestly don't see that as really
improving security much, unless you are replicating non-sensitive information.

for starters you should not open port 389 and instead open port 636 (and do
LDAP over SSL/TLS).

In addition, you could open a different port on the firewall (say 6636) and
forward that to 636 on the inside.

Also, if the rule is for traffic originating from a specific IP, that is much
better than allowing anything in.

I think a lot of this depends on how secure your LDAP servers are... in reality
you shouldn't be able to do anything destructive without the necessary
credentials. Even though the transmission of credentials will be encrypted, it
doesn't change the fact that your server could be compromised and passwords
sniffed before they go over the wire.

I think there's a lot of variables to consider - if it *must* be done it tends
to make admins more comfortable if the LDAP client is in a DMZ segment, thus
under a bit more control (and can have IDS, etc) rather than a random server
out on the Internet.

Dave Ross
http://www.coldspringframework.org