I agree it would be nice to make the SMTP server faster, but some things are
out of my control.

I checked the documentation
-http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00001710.htm
 - and found it mentions "Connection Timeout (seconds) - Enter the number of
seconds that ColdFusion MX should wait for a response from the mail server
before timing out."  However, I cannot find that setting in CF Administrator's
Mail settings.  The docs do not say it's an enterprise only setting.  I can see
in the Settings Summary that the Mail Connection Timneout is 60 seconds.  Where
can I change that?

I also checked the CFMAIL tag parameters and found there is one called
"timeout" which does the same thing, overriding the Administrator setting.
Unless someone can tell me where to change this setting in CFADMIN, I'll insert
this timeout setting in my CFMAIL tags.

Joy