Well it would blow up on various states.  All the time on CF8.  But this has
never happened on 7.  I restarted the CF service and it seems to be ok now.
But that is beside the point really, I am more concerned on what might have
caused this issue since it is a very simple query that just pulls state data.

In CF7 you could not use cachedwithin and cfqueryparam together, thus.....no
cfqueryparam - I am doing some checks for injection before the data is passed
to the query.  With 8 will be adding the cfqueryparam in b/c they can be used
together.