In my experience we have installed the product as root then gone back to
chown and chgrp to reflect the holding id who will run ColdFusion.
Typically the holding id and those with accounts on the system are in the
same group.
James Holmes brings up a good point about sudo as well. Different shell
accounts can be defined to execute certain scripts as root.
As far as zones go, is ColdFusion certified for Solaris 10?