It sounds like the cache is in a static variable in the Java class, hence in
the CF classloader.

However, a quick peruse of the documentation for java.awt.Toolkit reveals
that getImage will cache images indefinitely, but the underlying createImage
will not:

"Since the mechanism required to facilitate this sharing of Image objects
may continue to hold onto images that are no longer of use for an indefinite
period of time, developers are encouraged to implement their own caching of
images by using the createImage variant wherever available."

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=java.awt.toolkit+%22image+cache%22&b
tnG=Search&meta=

Jaime Metcher