----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Watts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <cf-talk@houseoffusion.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:03 AM
Subject: RE: CF8 Debugging

>> No. It's trivial. But it seems to imply that either the
>> developers of the server expected the CFIDE directory
>> mapping to exist for all virtual sites or else they were
>> oblivious to this happening. Why go to the trouble of
>> designing a nicely formatted debug output page and
>> then have it punctuated by a missing graphic?
>
> Since CF, by default, has many dependencies that rely on the existence
> of a
> /CFIDE URL, I submit that they expected you'd have that directory on a
> properly configured server. But putting that aside, where else could
> they
> put it? It has to go somewhere - can you suggest a better location?

The graphic?  Who knows.  I'm not worried about the graphic.

What other functionality relies on the CFIDE mapping?  It it necessary for
things like CFFORM?

When I first set up the server I had several virtual IIS sites.  Then I
deleted those sites and programmatically created all the necessary
production sites by a script.  I notice in the wsconfig.log file that when
CF was installed it created both the /CFIDE and /cfdocs virtual
directories for every web site that was on the server at the time.  So I
guess it's expected.

Which also begs the question - is there some functionality that relies on
the /cfdocs mapping?  I always thought that from a security standpoint it
was undesirable to have cfdocs installed, so having the installer create
this mapping on _every_ site seems like an odd move.

The thing about needing /CFIDE that strikes me a odd is that it contains
the CF Administrator application, so that the Administrator becomes
accessible from every web site on the server.  Yes, it's up to the system
administrator to make sure the CF Administrator is properly secured, but
this still seems rather a lax approach.  The CF Administrator isn't be
needed on every site.